Friday, August 10, 2012

Room with a View


This view reminds me of a painting that hangs in the home of my dear friend, mlw; I believe the original artist worked from the Torpedo Factory in Old Town Alexandria. The painting was of an expansive sycamore with its characteristic peeling bark.



It also puts me in mind of V. van Gogh's masterpiece, Blossoming Almond Tree (Amsterdam). It was painted for his namesake nephew's birth.
Click to view larger image

http://www.vggallery.com/painting/p_0671.htm













Here is a December view from same window, same trees, different nest.
Puts me in mind of C. Monet's famous series of the Rouen Cathedral (below). 
He painted the same facade at different times of the day.




The Portal of Rouen Cathedral in morning lightThe Portal of Rouen Cathedral in morning lightThe Portal of Rouen Cathedral (soleil)
http://www.theartwolf.com/monet_cathedral.htm

5 comments:

Katie said...

They look similar!

Katie said...

Maybe you could elaborate more!

jmkl said...

Thanks for the question, Katie:
I have added more paintings by Claude Monet at the end of this post. Now there are three views of the Rouen Cathedral facade. If you look at my two photographs, they are of the same view in different seasons (of different years). That is the juxtaposition I am making-- not to compare myself to a Master, only to show his influence on my artistic choice.

Epicksl Aeduri said...

great work. thanks for showcasing.

Janet said...

Sure, my pleasure. Thanks for commenting!