Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lighting the Way



I suppose the question that I have after the first blush of creative expression has occurred, is how does one refrain from producing "derivatives"? I know that art students will sojourn to galleries to study the Masters, recreating what they see in front of them. Obviously, these masters of their craft showed their genius by creating views that were never seen before.

Is it a case of learning a lot of technique and showing mastery of them first; then the springboard leap becomes across a chasm not so wide? Maybe there are commonalities between fine art forms and other disciplines, such as engineering/technology, that participants would build upon mastery of fundamentals?

thoughts?


4 comments:

Katie said...

I hope I am understanding your question, but yes, artists are inspired by others. Maybe a personal experience could spark an image. Also doing many variations of the same thing might help. I don't really know...

Janet said...

Thanks, Katie, for your thoughts. I think that I am v. influenced by summer salads and cooking. I am going to repeat one of these works to practice your godmother's advice re: highlights and shadows. (Thus the books...)

jmkl

Janet said...

Just found this book called "Steering the Craft" by Ursula LeGuin.


She writes, "Once we are keenly and clearly aware of these elements of our craft, we can use and practice them until -- the point of all the practice -- we don't have to think about them consciously at all, because they have become skills. A skill is something you know how to do. Skill in writing frees you to write what you want to write. It may also show you what you want to write. Craft enables art. There's luck in art. There's the gift. You can't earn that. You can't deserve it. But you can learn skill, you can earn it. You can learn to deserve your gift."


Answering my own question....!

Janet said...

I think you understand that thru practice we can build a skill. Please see comment on "Steering the Craft".