Monday, August 20, 2012

Cloud Collage



This late day cloud formation is lit in such a way that it seems as if the clouds were made of paper and were pasted on top of each other.











J. Vermeer View of Delft (1659-60)
Click!

Another influence on my photographic efforts must come from studying the small body of paintings (only 35 canvases) of J. Vermeer. He was interested in realistic perspective, use of the camera obscura, and of course, lighting on his bourgeoisie subjects.

In the View of Delft (above), Vermeer creates actual texture via the pigment and brushstrokes for a sandy, grainy, coarse foreground where the smaller scale persons are standing. The surface of the river water is relatively flat and smooth on the actual paint surface compared to the buildings and ground. The chiaroscuro found in the sky with dark and light clouds influence my photographic sensibilities with my cloud work. (I first learned of these techniques from a PBS program on Vermeer).









2 comments:

Janet said...

Hehe I really like it and it is so scenic.

Janet said...

Also, take a look at my post called "Gifts from Above" for more on this theme.