Thursday, September 27, 2012

Abundance v. Scarcity

Good Morning, fair reader.

I thought that I'd write this post quickly-- get the thought "out there" while fresh. 

Kids say the darndest things-- a truism to be sure. Case in point, I offered my resident teen some ice cream a few nights ago as he was  eyeball deep in homework. To my surprise, he replied, "yes please"; he's a teen remember? I asked him if he preferred vanilla or chocolate. He asked are they in the same carton? No, separate cartons, I replied. The teen, "I'll have whichever is less meager."

Less meager??! Down which logical labyrinth is he leading us? "What does that matter?" is my counter-reply. "I like to keep them even (in quantity)". Wow.

I had to chuckle and informed my teen that "one can take the kid out of Montessori; but you can't take the Montessori out of the kid." His penchant for symmetry and balance still remains to this day, expressed even in his druthers for ice cream flavor.

The Modern Suburbanite muses on...




3 comments:

Janet said...

ed. note: from ms


Thank you for sharing your blog with me. Let me take a moment to continue to encourage this sort of spiritual reflection that is shared. Frankly in Scripture food and helpful theological reflection are often tied together very well e.g. Jesus feeds 5,000 folks because he's been teaching, healing, preaching and discussing God with them most of the day. Loved your thoughts about abundance. We live in a world that thinks so often, if not only, about scarcity and I see so much more.


God's blessings on you in this.


ms

Janet said...

ed. note: from pb

I enjoyed very much reading about your dear [son], saying he wanted ice cream
from the least full carton ... or something similar ... :) Anyway,
I'm new at this blog thing, but I admire your courage at putting your thoughts
out there.


pb

Janet said...

Thanks for your comments!
Like anything new, it was a bit strange to be extroverted with my musings; but after 21 days+, it's a bit of a habit to blog :).


Musingly,
The Modern Suburbanite