Monday, October 8, 2012

Leaves of Grass




A child said, What is the grass? fetching it to me with full hands;
How could I answer the child? I do not know what it is, any more than he.

I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven.

Or I guess it is the handkerchief of the Lord,
A scented gift and remembrancer, designedly dropt,

Bearing the owner's name someway in the corners, that we may see and remark, and say, 
Whose?

Or I guess the grass is itself a child, the produced babe of the vegetation.

Walt Whitman (1819-1892). Leaves of Grass. 1900.


A touch of poetry from the American master on this Columbus Day.

A reader in her comment below refers to this sermon by The Rev. Andrea Martin, The Way to the Kingdom. There is "teeming life" in the the tadpoles and in the grass blades. ( Auden and Lydia ).









I sat quietly on the "inviting boulder" ( Driving Miss Sunshine ) and this is what I saw. The stream did babble and the children did exclaim the wonders of creation.





9 comments:

Janet said...

Lovely. Today on Skype, I was trying to articulate to Anna a message of Andrea's sermon about living in the moment as a child would. Seems fitting to your Whitman quote.

Janet said...

The textures and nature scenes are really beautiful and well thought out. I also think that the grass/plant could be mistaken for pine needles...

Janet said...

Thanks for helping find this composition!

Janet said...

Thanks. I think there is a bit of "cross-fertilization" at work here.


The ModSub

Janet said...

I love the depth of these photos! And I am a HUGE walt whitman fan :)

Janet said...

Thx for the comment. Glad there is resonance with you.

The ModSub

Janet said...

ed. note: from gh


Nice blog. Although familiar with the poem's title, I apparently never read it, because by the third line I thought, "Wow, Janet has real talent!" When I finally saw the citation, I realized, "Wow, Glenn has been living under a rock!" :-) So, I need to read less Frost and ee cummings and expand toward Whitman and others.


...
gh

Janet said...



Thanks for the response. Laughed out loud :)!


I wonder what starving poets would have done if blogs were available to them in yesteryear. Perhaps there are undiscovered Whitmans, Frosts, and cummings posting away right now!


Dickens and Tolstoy issued some of their greatest works in serial format through the newpapers of the day (Little Dorrit and Anna Karenina).


The Mod Sub

Janet said...

ed. note: from kc
These are absolutely gorgeous!
I did not know you were a professional photographer!
Blessings,
kc