Friday, January 22, 2016

Blizzard Redux!

Winter Oil Painting by my mother, RCK

     Well, gentle reader, it has been a season of frozen posts from the ModSub; but, not to fear, there is a thaw occurring even with the onset of a historic blizzard. We haven't seen snow fall like this since 2010 (Original Blizzard Post  ) and 1978. I do have good memories of rolling large snow boulders with my brothers in the front yard of my home in the late 70's. We used up every available inch of snow to construct Fort Mandan, much to my dad's dismay since the sheer weight was grass killing. The snow battle that ensued with the neighbor's kids was, as my son would put it, epic. The best part of this recollection was the sheer solitude near the oak in the backyard with only the sound of the whipping wind to comfort my pioneer mindset. I read a lot of Laura Ingalls Wilder back then; but didn't everyone? As I was saying, the best, best part was returning inside to the centrally heated home to have hot chocolate and marshmallows with my mom inquiring as to my brothers' whereabouts. My response was invariably, "Dunno" or "Outside". There is something to be said for a childhood before the virtuality and pervasiveness of screens.

The ModSub



No comments: